Thursday 14 December 2006

Tip of the Slongue #1

Yup, I've been lazy in updating recently. My life has been hectic this week.

I'm here to amuse me as well as to attract readers. So I'll introduce you to "Tip of the Slongue", a parody script that deals with misunderstandings between superheroes.

I thought Identity Crisis was excremental. Sue Dibny's death was traumatic enough without adding in a rape there too. It was supposed to change Dr. Light from the light-hearted buffoon he was into a scary villain again. Except that since then, he hasn't been able to shut up about the rape. Instead of making him scary, Dr. Light is all about rape. It's the only thing anyone remembers about him.

Rape is a mark of badass. If a comic portrays rape then it is "adult". But I definitely thought there was a sickening, and quite childish glee, in how Sue Dibny's rape was shown. I could almost see the creators getting off on it. I found the idea behind the serious very sexist and insulting. I'm sure that nobody needs another post on why rape is a bad thing and using it as a plot for a poor storyline just to make it edgy is misogynist and cheap.

But worst of all is the effect it's likely to have on the female Dr Light:

SCRIPT:

DR. LIGHT (female): 'Hi, I'm Doctor Light. I'd like to join your team.'

SUPERMAN: 'So, uh, you got a body-swap?'

DR. LIGHT: 'No, I'm-'

BATMAN: 'We hear you're very fond of rape as a statement. Or just as performance art. Why would you want to join a Super-hero team?'

DR. LIGHT: 'I'm the other Doctor Light.'

GUY GARDNER: 'You named yourself after a rapist? What kind of sick fuck are you? Why not just call yourself Doctor Rape?'

***
She's going to have to change her name.

Yes, there's a lot that's fucked-up about the above script. But I figure that it will go down swimmingly in a world where somebody gets praised for writing a story about Peter Parker offering Mary-Jane "rape dollars" and where Identity Crisis ever got greenlit.

Just remember folks, it's not puerile and demeaning- it's ADULT!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

lol rape dollars